Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook - Yevich S m. fl

[size=4]Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook[/size]
Steve Yevich, Warren Whitlock, Richard Broadhurst, Gay Thompson, Pete Redmond

########################################

Product Details

Ring-bound: 680 pages
Publisher: Teton NewMedia; 1st edition (June 1, 2001)
ISBN: 1893441547

[quote]Editorial Reviews

Book Info
United States Special Operations Command, Tampa, FL. Comprehensive reference designed for Special Operations Forces (SOF) medics. Provides approaches to accessing medical information, such as treatment hierarchy commonly facing the SOF Medic. Quick-reference and pocket-sized. Two-hole punched with rings included.

From the Publisher
Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook provides step-by-step illustrated procedures for performance of surgical procedures under hostile and/or primitive conditions. It offers alternatives to conventional procedures for management of a given problem that can be used under less than optimal circumstances. The physical presentation is designed to hold up under adverse conditions. It is waterproof, tear resistant and ring bound so that updated material can be added at will. It is in a small… read more

Book Description
Developed as a primary medical training resource and field guide for the Special Operations Command, the Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook defines the standard of health care delivery under adverse and general field conditions. It emphasizes acute care in all its forms (blunt and penetrating trauma, poisonings, infestations, parasitisms, acute infections, hyper and hypothermia, high altitude and decompression sickness and much more) as well as general medicine and sanitation practiced under primitive conditions. It is the work of 80 contributors both from the military and civilian practice. In general topics are covered in a consistent two page format. It is heavily illustrated with color for quick identification of dermatologic conditions, insect bites and stings and exposure problems. [/quote]

[quote]Reviewer: C. Leigh Culver from Duluth, Georgia United States
The Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook is absolutely the best medical handbook that I have found to date for remote medical support operations. Besides being very compact, which makes the manual a very functional travel companion, the book is packed with an incredible amount of useful medical information. If you are a remote medical practitioner, this is a medical reference manual that you will not want to be without.

Reviewer: David Smith from Walla Walla, WA
Not only is the content in this book exceptional (especially for you survivalist types), the best part is the writing. The style editor must be incredibly talented. I happen to know he recently used some information from this book when he had to relocate his own shoulder…

Reviewer: A reader from Charlotte, NC USA
The best wilderness/expedition medicine field guide bar none. I have had a chance to speak to most of the Special Forces Medics who have been in Afghanistan and the one thing we all agree on is that this book is the best thing that the military has put out ever for SF medics. I carried this book along with a Sanfords and Pocket Pharmicopia and ran sick call on my guys and the locals and didn’t need any other references. The only negative is that this is some heavy book. Not something that you would want to carry on your ultra-light backpacking trip. Great for base camp or vehicle travel though. [/quote]

Indrømmet - denne bog er nok kun for kendere. Bogen henvender sig hovedsageligt til friluftsmedicinere og/eller medicinere, der har en eller anden tilknytning til militæret.

Fordelen ved denne bog er følgende: Det er en rigtig god opslagsbog vedr. akut medicin (friluftsmedicin) men har ingen anvendelse ved studiet som sådan.

Bogen er skrevet efter devisen “keep it simple stupid”, hvorfor man, for en gangs skyld, har en bog af rigtig god kvalitet og på et acceptabelt niveau uden det hele er “sølet ind i lange akademiske vendinger med mange indskudte sætninger” - et tiltrængt refugium fra studiet om man vil.

Bogen er, som nogle måske har fanget, ikke videre evidensbaseret, hvilket resulterer i, at mange af behandlingerne er beskrevet udfra forfatternes egne konkrete erfaringer med afrevne lemmer m.v. Bogen får derfor også et særligt interessant præg for os, der til dagligt er vant til evidensbaserede behandlingsregimer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Med denne bog i baglommen bliver man i stand til at lave nogle finurlige tricks i skadestuen, som sandsynligvis vil mødes med enten opgivende eller direkte stødte miner hos sygeplejerskene og især bagvagten. :wink:

jeg mener at denne bog er kanon god. det er som beskrevet en “no bullshit book”. Der er diagnose -> behandling og ikke så meget ander “pis”.

når man er 100 km fra bagvagten i ødemarken er dette bogen! en no bullshit book som grundestrup siger.

den beskriver hvordan du beh med meget få ting, behandlingen er ikke altid EBM da dette i området med akutte pt. er lidt af et gråt feldt ofte bliver til et best gess.

for folk der er i faget med militær og remote præhospital beh. vil med gælde se, at man kender rigitg mange af forfatter, Steve Yevich har samlet et hold der er i klasse for sig.

i 2007 kommer den nye cilvle udgave( mil udgave er update nogen gang siden 2001, feks med afsnit om ØNH), og det ser ud til de har lavet en gode bog bedre.